Saturday, May 7, 2011

Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life

I just finished my latest read: Coco Chanel:  The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie.

Barnes and Noble--$24.94, Hardcover

I really recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in Chanel, as it is a fabulously written biography with equally fabulous pictures!




Justine Picardie wrote about all the affairs, fashions, relationships, troubles, successes, friendships, and mysteries shrouding the life of the famous Gabrielle Bonheur 'Coco' Chanel.  It goes in depth of the importance of the number five, the double C's, the little black dress, her pearls, the lion, and any other singnifcant symbol in Gabrielle Chanel's life.

 The book does not just profile Chanel's life, but the lives of people who were close to her, the events that influenced her life (like the Great Depression and The World Wars), as well as the people whose lives were influenced by Chanel.  Chanel worked hard to be as successful as she was, rising from poverty and being in an orphanage, to riches more than I can even dream of.

Picardie had a lot to cover in 352 pages, but she manages to get through it all.  I especially liked the chapter dedicated to Chanel N°5, Chanel's most famous and most beloved perfume.

No. 5

The book also has fabulous drawings and sketches of Chanel and her works by Karl Lagerfeld.


I highly recommend this book.  Chanel's elegance, charm, simplicity, and grace will live forever, and this book shows just what an influence one woman made on fashion history.  I have to do a project on this book for school, which I will happily do.  *To any of my friends who want to read this book, you are welcome to borrow it after the project is due, as long as I get it back. :)


<3 Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment